Open Burning Season Begins Tuesday, March 1

When Can I Burn?

Open burning is allowed by Gallatin County Burn Permit between March 1st and November 30 of each year.  During this time frame burn permits are required.  When conditions are not favorable for burning, the fire chief of your fire protection agency may shut down open burning to reduce the potential for a fire to get out of control.  In extreme conditions a burn ban may be implemented restricting all open flames.  Gallatin County does not utilize the Stage 1 and Stage 2 Fire Restriction system.  Instead, either burning is open or closed (we find this easier to understand) and in very rare situations the County Commission may institute a complete burn ban.

Burn Permits

 Purchase Burn Permit

Gallatin County Burn Permit Help Line:  (406) 548-0144 or

Gallatin County utilizes a burn permit system to indicate when it is not safe to burn and minimize false alarms by knowing where people are conducting controlled burns.  Burn permits can be obtained online at


Hyalite Rural Fire District is seeking public involvement in a sub-committee to work on a conceptual design to replace the Rae Fire Station located at 5400 Gooch Hill Road.

This sub-committee is advisory to the Hyalite Rural Fire District Board of Trustees.  All decisions will be made by the Board of Trustees. 

For further information please contact Fire Chief, Brian Nickolay at or call (406) 586-3770.

If you would like to participate with this exciting new venture, please submit a one paragraph letter with your interest in the sub-committee to the Hyalite Rural Fire District.  You can e-mail your letter to or mail to 4541 S. 3rd Rd., Bozeman, MT 59715. 

The Board of Trustees will make a decision from the interested applicants at the March 15th board meeting held at 7:00pm at the Sourdough Fire Station.